Monday, September 21, 2009

Leo Mol's Sculpture Garden


Let's go for a walk to view the amazing works sculpted by world renown sculptor, Leo Mol. Our city proudly represents Leo Mol's wonderful sculpted works and his legend.
Let me show you some photos of statues this remarkable sculptor contributed to us.


...oops, this is my DH and my baby bichon, Marlee...let's follow them...

"Walk a little slower Daddy", said a puppy so small,
"I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to get lost".


..."Mommy I am tired...can you please carry me...then you can put me down to chase that squirrel I hear over there".


" ... but that girl does not have any clothes on!"



".... what are those little piggies doing?"



"Seeing all that water is making me thirsty...they have yucky stuff in the water that even chased away the ducks. Look, all the ducks have gone South for the winter. Mommy, I don't want winter to come here and cover all this stuff with snow."


"Everyone is eating around here...I am hungry...."


This is my favorite statue...Moses as God makes the Ten Commandment tablets.


Leo Mol loved nature as he sculpted animals, Mother Bear and Baby bear cub being one of his most popular works.

...oops, this photo should have been cropped.

Thank you for sharing some history with us. We had a wonderful time.


Copied from Wikipedia: Leo Mol, (January 15, 1915 – July 4, 2009) was a Ukrainian Canadian artist and sculptor. Born Leonid Molodozhanyn in Polonne, Ukraine, Mol studied sculpture at the Leningrad Academy of Arts from 1936 to 1940. Following the German invasion of the Soviet Union he moved to Germany where he was influenced by Arno Breker. In 1945, he moved to The Hague, and in December, 1948, he and his wife, Magareth (whom he married in 1943), emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba. More than three hundred of Mol's works are displayed in the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden in Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park. The garden was unveiled in 1992 and has been expanded twice since. It is supported by private donations, and Mol personally donated most of the sculpture. In 2002, his sculpture Lumberjacks was featured on a Canadian postage stamp. He was always known as a particularly prolific artist and some of his most famous works include likenesses of three different Popes which stand in museums in the Vatican. He also has a sculpture of Taras Shevchenko on display on Washington’s Embassy Row. Mol died July 4, 2009, at the Tache Centre medical facility in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was 94.

Please come visit us again...we love bloggers and followers too....

No comments:

Crazy Life

Crazy Life
"Quilting is my passion...chocolate comes in a close second."

Share Some Love

Cute as a Button

Cute As A Button

I love to sew

I love to sew

Labels