Monday, February 22, 2010

Snowbound February block


This is the second block I made for the Snowbound Project by Anne Sutton. It took me forever, but the more I stitched, the more I enjoyed it. The entire block is done by needle-turn hand applique. I wanted to make it Valentine themed thus the heart-snow.

The pattern does not include the little bluebird, but I just had to include this cute little bird. The bluebird reminds me of the birdhouses Dad used to make for our cottage at Clear Lake.

Dad passed away two years ago February 6th and I miss him very much. Dad loved all breeds of birds and called our cottage and Clear Lake God's country...I too always felt close to God whenever we would visit our cottage in Clear Lake.

Seeing a bluebird is enough to make one understand all the mythology and symbolism why the bluebird is referred to as the Bluebird of "HAPPINESS". Now I understand why Dad loved making bluebird birdhouses. However, life changes, and cottage was too much upkeep for my aging parents...thus the little bird in this block will remind me of many fond memories.

WIKIPEDIA RESULTS ON THE BLUEBIRD:


"The mythology of the bluebird has deep roots that goes back to thousands of years. Indigenous cultures across the globe hold similar myths and beliefs about the bluebird. It is the most universally accepted symbol of cheerfulness, happiness, prosperity, hearth and home, good health, new births, the renewal of springtime, etc. Virtually any positive sentiments may be attached to the bluebird."

There are references to bluebird myths and symbolism in Navaho culture, in Europe and in Asia. The author mentions Maeterlinck's play, "L'Oiseau Bleu," which by a coincidence I once read. I didn't really appreciate it at the time, although it has the "moral" mentioned by ESC. Materlinck's play is based on a fairy tale published, as "L'oiseau bleu," by Madame D'Aulnoy in the 17th century.

Most Americans know of the Bluebird of Happiness from a song of that name written by Jan Peerce and Art Mooney, introduced by them in 1948 with Peerce's voice (a classical tenor) and Art Mooney's Orchestra. It was inspirational and immensely popular for a time.


*** *** ***
*** *** ***
The Bluebird of Happiness.
(verse)
The beggar man and his mighty king are only
diff'rent in name,
For they are treated just the same by fate.
Today a smile and tomorrow tears,
We're never sure what's in store,
So learn your lesson before [it is] too late,

(refrain)
So be like I, hold your head up high,
Till you find the bluebird of happiness.
You will find greater peace of mind
Knowing there's a bluebird of happiness.
And when he sings to you,
Though you're deep in blue,
You will see a ray of light creep through,
And so remember this, life is no abyss,
Somewhere there's a bluebird of happiness.

- Words by Edward Heyman and Harry Parr Davies

No comments:

Crazy Life

Crazy Life
"Quilting is my passion...chocolate comes in a close second."

Share Some Love

Cute as a Button

Cute As A Button

I love to sew

I love to sew

Labels