Sunday, April 5, 2009

My TIPS and LINK to Great Hand Applique Video

I would like to suggest 'hand' applique video I viewed on hand applique. I used this method to make my "A Tisket a Tasket' Bunny Hill Blocks. In fact the bunny block was the first time I ever hand appliqued. I had completed minor applique on a quilt over 25 years ago, but never used this great method until now. Please view this video for some helpful instructions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjJD78DJWk&feature=related

Helpful hint:

1. I printed the pattern directly onto the dull side of freezer paper and it saved tracing, and reversing image! Before printing, I trimmed my freezer paper and taped top edge to a regular sheet of paper.

2. Cut out pieces, leaving approximately 1/4 inch around the edge of pattern for turning under. This 1/4 inch does not have to be exact. I turned fabric under with my thumb, then stitched as video demonstrates.

3. Cut out pattern pieces, press freezer paper pieces to the "right' side of fabric (contrary to other popular methods).

4. Iron two pieces of freezer paper together to make a firmer template.

Hope you understand these tips...as this method worked great for me. I made all three blocks up within two weeks, so you can do it too. These blocks are 'sew' much fun!

5. The only pressing I did beforehand were the tips on the star points, etc.

TIP: To make nice circle for the snowman's head, I cut the pattern out of cardboard and then hand gathered 1/4 inch seam.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to appliqué video! I just finished my first of 92 pieces. It turned out great!

Crazy Life

Crazy Life
"Quilting is my passion...chocolate comes in a close second."

Share Some Love

Cute as a Button

Cute As A Button

I love to sew

I love to sew

Labels